Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Young Man's Best Friend

These rainy days I really didn't have time doing outdoor stuffs instead I engrossed myself reading children novels and one of the novels that really caught my attention is Shiloh, a Newbery Medal-winning children's novel by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. It is a story of a young man who risks everything to save his best friend. The story takes place in the little town of West Virginia where amazing friendship happens between an eleven year old boy named Marty Preston and a stray beagle which Marty names him Shiloh.


One of the things that wonders me from the story is how Marty show deep compassion towards Shiloh. Marty does not want to return Shiloh to Mr. Judd Travers, Shiloh's real owner, since Mr. Judd always get drunk and treated Shiloh poorly. Besides, Shiloh love to be with Marty and persistently show gentle and loving companionship for him and to his family. Through this story I have read I was encouraged to have a beagle as my pet which I can show a deep sympathy the same as Marty did.





No comments:

Post a Comment